Friday, December 30, 2011

Merry Christmas and Cheers to the end of another year!

So its Friday night and 'Christmas' has officially come to an end here at the Urban house. I know Christmas was Sunday but we spent last night celebrating the holiday again with my parents and sisters. It was so nice to get together in our house for Christmas.The Christmas holiday has been a bit different for Matt and I this year. Normally, we spend the time packing the car up, driving to one of our families homes and then many years we fly off to the west coast to get some skiing in. Instead of snow, we had temperatures of around 80 degrees and we never left Gainesville. With Brock due to arrive any day, we weren't able to travel anywhere this year, but we had a great holiday, even if it felt a little unusual.

Friday night, Matt's parents drove up to Gainesville and we had a great dinner at Stonewood that night. Saturday morning, Christmas Eve, Matt and I woke up early and spent the morning sitting under the pergola outside, drinking coffee, reading the paper and watching Zeke bark at everything... basically completely perfect morning. We also went for a nice long walk while his parents slept in and I have to say I really just enjoyed the morning so much. It was so relaxing and basic. Its times like that that make you realize that you don't need a lot to be truly happy. Matt laughed at me on our walk because I would just break out in sprints and do squats, willing this baby to a natural labor. It didn't work but I got lots of honks from cars. For the afternoon, I went and had the most wonderful manicure/pedicure. I am not sure why I don't ever make the time to do this for myself because I LOVE it but I don't. I literally spent over 2 hours while my Asian technician. "Jimmy", made me the happiest pregnant woman ever, He even gave me bottled water and strawberry wafer cookies. When I went to check out, he told me it would be $32... seriously? Best pedi/ mani ever, hot stones and all for $32. How have I lived here this long and not discovered this hole in wall? Going back for sure.

Christmas Eve night we had some of our best friends, Jayson and Joslyn, over for dinner. We went anti-traditional and had delicious crab claws, twice baked potatoes, a Giada pasta dish and salad. It was so delicious and we had a wonderful time just hanging out together.

Sunday morning was Christmas and Zeke couldn't have been more excited, he could tell it was a very exciting day. Matt and I skyped my parents while we opened our stockings. It was so fun and what a great way to use technology. Even if we couldn't be together, we got to have that time and it was awesome. We then opened loads of presents, I have to say we are quite over the top spoiled and our families love Christmas. We got so many wonderful things and it was really endearing opening up all of Brock's gifts. He is seriously one spoiled little boy. He got his first FAO Schwartz teddy bear from NYC that arrived the day before, an Elephant rocking chair, and tons of toys. We can't believe next year he will be almost a year old and be running around. We can't wait! I got Matt a telescope that he had been asking for and he spoiled and shocked me with a beautiful David Yurman necklace. We both said we weren't going 'overboard' but he defiantly did. I love it, he says their may be more to come when little Brock arrives. I guess I better be a good pusher! After opening presents, we had a lovely breakfast casserole Sandy made and mimosas.
                                             Zeke being spoiled
                                                       Brock being spoiled

Christmas night we were invited to the Henderson's ( some good friends of ours) for their family Christmas dinner. There were around 30-40 people and we felt right at home. We had a lovely traditional meal with great foods, wonderful conversation and we left exhausted! It was so nice for them to invite us over and we were really grateful. Our final Christmas celebration was last night with my parents, my sisters Amanda and Katie and our great friend Brittany. We spent the night drinking wine, eating amazing Italian food and enjoying each other. It was a great end to the holiday season.

Today was also quite a big 'holiday' moment for me. Around 7pm, I put up my maternity out of office notice and shut off my laptop. I have officially worked till the end of my pregnancy and I am more than ready for a break and to focus on the baby. Last Thursday we found out that Brock is still growing like crazy and even though I am progressing really well, we just can't wait for him to make his debut in his own sweet time. Matt and I were both exceptional large babies ( hilarious, I know) and it seems big baby genes mixed with big baby genes do not equal a 6 pound baby, oh well! So at 39 weeks, Dr Botha was estimating Brock at around 9.5 pounds. Luckily, he seems to be really long so I am hoping long and lean! The ultrasound put him right at 9 pounds so I was a bit happier about that. Anyway, I have spend the entire week, running, spinning, squatting, jumping, eating spicy foods, and getting a massage to get this process going but he seems quite content in my ever growing gianormous tummy, so it seems that we will have to push things along a bit more. Sunday night, if there is room in the Inn :), I will be induced around 9pm and will most likely have him sometime Monday. We are so excited and its nice to know we will be able to hold him in a matter of days. I am not happy with being induced but I have more of a chance of having him naturally by inducing him now then waiting any longer so here it goes!

Tomorrow I plan to do my last workout at the gym then we are going to put up all holiday decorations so that we can come home to everything all together. With our luck, I will go into labor about the time we are dragging our dead tree out the front door ( can you tell I have thought about this?).

This holiday season, while it has been quite quiet, it has been wonderful. I have really appreciated this time that Matt and I have had together to just go for long walks, watch movies and enjoy each other. I know this quiet time will be ending soon and I am just enjoying it while it lasts. We plan to spend New Years Eve at a friends house, grilling steaks and lobsters, drinking champagne and sparking juice and watching the ball drop. 2012 brings a whole new life and adventure to us and we are so grateful to have such wonderful friends and family to share it with. Here's to a wonderful New Year!

Much love,
Christy

Here's a few more pictures because I just love pictures!
                                                                  Brock's first ornament
                                                             Can you imagine next year?!



                                                                        Big belly of baby!
                                                  Right before our last date night downtown

No comments:

Post a Comment