Sunday, December 11, 2011

Starting from the beginning

Wow, as I write this I just hit 37 weeks pregnant with our little boy Brock and I couldn't think of a better time to start a blog.
                                            Brock Harrison Urban, due to arrive 1/1/12

First of all I have to say... Welcome! I have wanted to start a blog over the past few years to talk about all of our travels, adventures and just life in general but I never really had that last push that I needed to do it... until now! I think the blog will be a great way to keep up with everyone in more detail than Facebook allows and a great way to document our lives.

When I try to think of a good way to sum up the past 6.5 years of marriage and 10 years of been together, I have to say we are two adventure junkies. Matt and I have had a great time traveling around the world to so many wonderful places both in and outside the US and I have to say I think we are better people for it. I am really glad we took the time to experience different cultures because I think it has made us appreciate our own lives and culture more. We both really want to offer our little boy the opportunity to see the world. We both traveled as kids but didn't really experience much outside our comfort zone until we met. We hope that Brock has a passport full of stamps in his lifetime. We also appreciate what our country has to offer and just hope that he enjoys traveling and trying new things as much as we do.

                                                             ( coast of Ireland)

So I guess to get to the point of where are today, I have to quickly start from the beginning. Most people know this story but for some that don't, here you go. Matt and I met ... well... okay I 'met' Matt when I was a freshman at UF and he was President of a nonprofit club on campus and was giving a speech on campus one day. I was with my girlfriend, Lindsay Crosas, and I leaned over and said to her, I think I am going to marry him, I really like the way he speaks. Ok, so I was like 18 and knew nothing, but I have to say I did know we would be together forever. Call it what you want..destiny, fate, whatever, but I did know at that moment, that was it. So as destiny and fate and sappy love movies show you, I did what every self respecting woman would do and I stalked him, followed him around campus and sent him bogus emails :) We finally 'met' a few weeks later at a fraternity party, he was the risk management chair and well I was defiantly the crazy risk. We started dating and dated through college. My senior year, I spent a semester in Italy and as hard as it was to leave him, I knew I had to do my own thing. It has always been very important to remain my independence, difficult or not. I really enjoyed my time in Italy, it defiantly forced me to learn to live without everything I alway had taken for granted living at home. I washed my clothes in the sink on a weekly basis and shared a bathroom with my classmates. I have to say though I really fell in love with living in a new country, learning the language, the culture, the people etc. I was so excited when Matt came to visit me at the end of my program and we spent a couple weeks traveling together. One of our last stops was Vernazza in Cinque Terre, Italy. We loved this place, it had everything we were looking for; water, great food, hiking and culture. We spent one day hiking along the coast through all five towns and ended back at Vernazza. Matt was acting very strange when we made it back into the town and I couldn't figure out what it was. After dinner, we walked down along the rocks and he asked me to marry him. It seems that he wanted to do it all day, so he had put my ring in my backpack and made me carry it all day. Seems very fitting looking back!

So fast forward a year and we were married on September 17th, 2005 in Tallahassee, Florida in true southern fashion... hot as hell :) We were married in Maclay Gardens and it was absolutely beautiful, yet hot, and we loved it.

Fast forward another 6 years and here we are. We decided to buck the trend of having babies right away and instead really focused on getting our careers going and traveling a ton. We were married young and we didn't feel like it was the right time for us to have children. This is not to say that everyone supported this decision, I can't tell you how many people have asked us over the past six years why we weren't having kids yet. If I had a dollar for every time this happened we would be very rich but we just knew that we wanted to grow up some, enjoy each other, travel and just quite frankly, be selfish. I can't say how grateful I am that we made this decision because I can truly say it has made us really appreciate this pregnancy more and this little boy that is going to change our lives. We have spent so much time talking about 'one day having a baby', to ' I wonder what he/she will look like', that now that it is really here, it is so unreal to us. Pregnancy has been amazing, I have no real complaints, for me it has been very easy. No morning sickness, no real bad side effects at all. This is not to say that I am one of those people that just "LOVE IT". I am not that person, for me, it is a means to end of a beautiful baby. I have enjoyed watching him grow but I am ready for him to be here already and not be kicking my ribs anymore. I am already in love with him but pregnancy I am not.


Sorry this is so long, but how can you start a blog about a couple, a family, without starting from the beginning? I hope that I can not only talk about Brock, but travel, wine ( another huge passion of ours), careers, balancing our lives with being parents and trying in the meantime not to lose our own identities. I hope you will join along side of us in this journey. We are so grateful to be blessed with huge families, amazing friends and a beautiful home in Gainesville. Thank you for taking a peek into our lives. You can add us to your favorites and add comments as we post. Oh and I promise, they will not all be this long !

From our home to yours,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment